Friday, May 16, 2014

REVIEW: Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy


Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
by Lucy Knisley

“I love the treat and pleasure of eating when it becomes an act of focused giving and sharing...Wasting money and appetite on bad food is disappointing, but it doesn't matter when the company is good...[T]here's a lot to be said for eating as a social act. It's a treat, even when the food is bad.” 

Lucy has grown up in kitchens her whole life. Her mother was a fantastic cook, caterer, and farmer, and from her Lucy was introduced to the best foods available. This graphic novel memoir explores her journey from childhood to adulthood through food and several important recipes.

This graphic novel was ok. I loved the recipes! I want all of my cookbooks to have illustrations like this to accompany them:


However, the story itself was a bit lacking. It was nice to see how she grew up, and there were several funny stories, but there was no conflict. Everything was beautiful and tasty and idyllic and even when she grew surly in her teenage years, you knew she would come to see how amazing everything was. It did make me want to appreciate the preparation and consumption of my food, however.

I would definitely buy this book for the recipes. They are simple and clear and funny, with useful tips and illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment