Wednesday, October 12, 2011

ARCHIVED REVIEW: The Middle Place (6/2/10)



The Middle Place
by Kelly Corrigan

"Even when all the paperwork-a marriage license, a notarized deed, two birth certificates, and seven years of tax returns-clearly indicates you're an adult, but all the same, there you are, clutching the phone and thanking God that you're still somebody's daughter."
- Kelly Corrigan (The Middle Place)

This book is basically about a woman who is still her parent's daughter, but also the mother of two children. Hence the "middle place."

I liked parts of this book very much. I loved the stories of her growing up a Corrigan, as part of a galumphing and gregarious Irish family with a dad called Greenie who would shout "Hello World!" out the window every morning and make friends with everyone. I loved the stories about her kids, and how when she would yell at them, they would slyly divert her onto a conversation about how fish don't have noses and all is forgiven.

However, I had a really hard time liking Kelly Corrigan herself. There were moments when she was growing up when I understood her. And I completely understand that when both you and your dad have cancer, you are not in the best state of mind. But a lot of times, I thought she was just crazy! And I have never had cancer, so I don't know what that would do to me, but the way that she was so controlling over her father's treatment because she knew better than anyone else, or how she would get so angry when her husband called his parents to say hi, or the fact that she went out to Bed, Bath and Beyond to buy $400 worth of stuff to replace her parent's old things while her mom was out just because she thought the place looked shabby without asking if it was ok...

I just would look at her and say "Really? Let go, girl. Just let go." There were so many moments like that that I had a hard time enjoying her as a narrator.

If you liked this book, you may like:
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

1 comment:

Belgie said...

Ms. Corrigan's story is so compelling that I found it hard to keep reading it. I was afraid she would tear my heart in two. But she didn't. Instead, she empowered me to be more loving. She loves her readers as well and takes good care of them through to the end.

Post a Comment